* Right here in South Alabama, babies are struggling because they were born prematurely or with birth defects.
* The March of Dimes works in communities across the country to help give every baby a fighting chance.
* March for Babies, the March of Dimes signature fundraiser and the nation’s favorite walking event, helps prevent birth defects, premature birth, and other leading causes of infant death and disability.
* You can help -- learn more at marchforbabies.org. You can sign up to walk, join a team or donate to help babies.
* March for Babies will take place in nearly 500 communities nationwide, including here in Mobile.
* By taking part in March for Babies, you are funding programs that provide comfort and support to moms and babies across the country as well as cutting-edge March of Dimes research to find the unknown causes of premature birth and birth defects.
* At the event, we celebrate children and parents who experienced the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or special care nursery. We recognize these families throughout the day with a Superhero Sprint for kids, complete with a purple cape, a symbolic lei for mom and dad and loads of fun in the kids’ zone.
* For the first time this year, participants will have the opportunity to walk through our Memory Mile and visit our unforgettable March for Babies Memory Garden. Those who have experienced loss will find a community of support and a meaningful way to remember their baby by planting a flower in our butterfly garden.
* Joining March for Babies also helps fund efforts to fight the spread of Zika virus. The March of Dimes is a leader in providing programs and up-to-the-minute information for women, men and families to battle Zika. Visit ZAPzika.org and nacersano.org/zika to learn more.
* The 2017 March for Babies is sponsored nationally by Kmart, Famous Footwear, Macy’s, Cigna, HCA, and regional sponsor Publix Super Markets, Inc.